Pages

Apr 23, 2012

Mushroom Biryani!!!

Hi guys!!!

I have long wanted to try Mushroom Biryani at home. I remember my college days, when eating out used to be such a big deal. And any dish that had mushroom or paneer made it sound special :-) My mom has never cooked mushroom at home and that was one another reason that mushroom dishes were special to me. If I ever had to eat vegetarian in a restaurant it would be paneer or mushroom. But, the pleasure of cooking the once-so-special dishes at home now is great too.

My husband is very picky and fussy when it comes to food. His taste buds favor a limited number of food items. So, I have got to try hard and wreck my brain to come up with different dishes, appealing dishes actually, for the food items that he does not like right away. It is more like cooking for a kid :-) Mushroom is one such ingredient. Everytime I pick them up, he asks me a few questions about what I intend to prepare and if he is satisfied then he lets me go ahead. When I told him I was gonna prepare biryani he was more than happy..

Now lets see the recipe.

Ingredients:

Basmati rice - 1.5 cups
Button Mushrooms - 200 gms
Onion - 1 big
Tomato - 1 big
Green chillies - 2
Ginger & Garlic paste - 1 tsp
Corriander & Mint leaves - a bunch each
Turmeric powder - 1/2 tsp
Chilli poweder - 1 1/2 tsp
Corriander powder - 1 tsp
Biryani masala - 1 tsp
Cinnamon - 1" stick
Cloves - 5
Bay leaves - 2
Star Anise - 2
Cardamom - 2
Curd - 2 tbsp
Salt - as per taste
Oil / Ghee - 2 tbsp



Procedure:

1. Heat the oil or ghee on medium flame in a pressure cooker. Add the whole spices and let them sizzle. Then add the chopped chillies and the mint and corriander leaves and saute till the leaves wilt.
2. Now add the chopped onions and saute till they turn transparent. Next add the ginger garlic paste followed by the tomatoes and keep stirring till the tomatoes are cooked well.
3. Add the thinly chopped mushroom followed by all the masala powders and salt. Mix well till the masala is well incorporated. The mushroom lets out water so let it cook well in it.
4. Cook this mixture with the lid closed (without the whistle) for about 10 minutes or till the mushroom is well cooked and is shrunk.
5. When the mushroom is well cooked add the rice, curd and add 2.5 cups of water and close the lid. Cook under pressure for 10 mins.

Serve hot with raita!!!

3 comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...