Pages

Apr 19, 2012

Badam Halwa!!!

Hi guys!!!

Badam halwa is my favorite Indian dessert. I just love the way the halwa melts in the mouth. Infact, this is was the first dessert I ever prepared in my life without any assistance. I did mess up the sugar syrup consistency the first time I prepared it. I over stirred the syrup and that led to crystallisation once the syrup cooled. And the result was that the halwa started breaking into pieces the next day :-) The taste was good though...

But I did learn from my mistakes and have been careful with the syrup consistency ever since. I was so tempted to prepare badam halwa for a while now but was finding reasons to push it to later. But finally, I gave in to my temptations and prepared it.

Now lets see the recipe.

Ingredients:

Almonds(Badam) - 1/2 cup
Cashews - 1/4 cup
Sugar - 3/4 cup
Water - 3/4 cup
Ghee - 1/2 cup (according to preference)
Yellow food color - a pinch



Procedure:

1. Soak the almonds in warm water for an hour, peel them and grind them into a coarse grainy paste. Powder the cashews and keep aside too.
2. In a wide bottomed pan add the sugar and water and prepare the sugar syrup. Keep checking for the single thread consistency. You can find notes for checking the syrup consistency in my post for Kaju Katli.
3. When the syrup is at single thread consistency add the cashew powder and the almond paste and keep stirring. Break the lumps that are formed.
4.At some stage the mixture will start sticking at the bottom. That takes around 8 minutes. At this stage start adding ghee gradually.
5. When you have added all the ghee add the food color and mix well. You know when the halwa is ready when you take a pinch of halwa and roll it between your fingers, it forms a ball and is not sticky.
6. Turn off heat and garnish and serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...