Pages

Apr 7, 2012

Dal Khichdi!!!

Hi guys!!!

Any comfort food lover will vote a favorite high for Dal khichdi. My bond with this dish goes way back to my working days in Mumbai. This used to be my weekend lunch most of the days. Please do not misunderstand that I used to cook. I was not a great fan of cooking my own food then. The small restaurants near my house had amazingly tasty versions of Dal khichdi. Most of the restaurants had a near-liquid version of this dish. But when I started making my own I made mushy but firm khichdi. Still tastes good!!!!

Now lets see the recipe.

Ingredients:

Rice - 1.5 cups
Toor dal - 1/2 cup
Tomato - 1
Onion - 1
Green chillies - 2
Garlic - 3 pods
Turmeric powder - 1/2 tsp
Chilli powder - 1/2 tsp
Mustard seeds - 1 tsp
Cumin seeds - 1 tsp
Cloves - 5
Cinnamon - 1/2" stick
Kasoori methi - 1 tsp (optional)
Ghee - 2 tbsp
Salt - as per taste



Procedure:

1. Heat the ghee in a pressure cooker and add the mustard seeds and cumin seeds and let them sizzle. Now add the cinnamon and cloves as well.
2. After a minute add the onion, garlic and green chillies and saute till the onions turn transparent. Then add the tomatoes and saute till it mixes well and forms a paste with the onions.
3. Now add the masala powders, salt and kasoori methi if using and mix well. Finally add the rice and dal and add 5 cups and water and cook under pressure for 15 minutes.

Quick and easy dal khichdi is ready!!! Serve with papad.

Note:
1. You can use more water if you prefer the khichdi to be more watery.

2 comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...