Pages

Jun 26, 2012

Masala Peanuts / Masala Kadalai - Microwave method!!!

Hi guys!!!

Coming up with tea-time snack ideas is a toughie.. I usually have my evening tea less than an hour before I go to the gym. Which means, I cannot have snacks that will fill me up. Most of the days, I just munch on a handful of nuts or have any fruit that is lying around. But weekends are the time when I like to make every meal special. Even the evening tea time snacks. Last weekend, I dozed off in the afternoon while watching TV and woke up when my biological alarm went off screaming for my evening tea. I had to make something quick to have along with tea so I decided to prepare masala peanuts for a snack.

Traditionally, this is prepared by deep frying the masala coated peanuts in oil. Just to avoid all that deep frying I resorted to the microwave method. This snack can be prepared in less than 10 minutes and every member of the household will love it!!

Now lets see the recipe.

Ingredients:

Raw peanuts - 1 cup
Besan / Chickpea flour - 1/2 cup
Chilli powder - 1 tsp
Corriander powder - 1/2 tsp
Fennel powder - 1/2 tsp
Salt - as per taste
Asafoetida / Hing - a pinch
Oil - 1 tbsp
Water - as required



Procedure:

1. Mix the flour, masala powders, salt and oil. Mix well till the flour mixture turns crumbly. Now sprinkle water little at a time till it reaches a thick sticky consistency.
2. Now toss in the peanuts and mix thoroughly till the batter coats the peanuts evenly.
3. Spread the peanuts now in a microwave safe plate and cook in high power for 5 minutes (varies depending on the make of the oven). Try to toss and flip over the peanuts once in between to ensure even cooking.
4. Store in an air-tight container. The peanuts are soft when hot but turns crisp when cooled down.

Serve with tea or a mid-day snack!!!

2 comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...