Pages

Jun 28, 2012

Carrot Rice!!!

Hi guys!!!

Coming up with lunch box ideas on days I have overslept is a real challenge. First off, I wake up in a panic mode realizing I am so close to sending off my husband to office without a homemade lunch. Secondly, my brain works so rapidly the permutations and combinations of the vegetables lying in the fridge and the possible dishes that can be prepared in the short time. I am sure if I were to start a club for women who think about what to pack for the lunch box when brushing their teeth, I can make quite some new friends :-)

So coming to the recipe. The reason I had to say so much about late wake-up panic is that I cooked this dish on one such day. When my brain was doing the hard-math it suddenly struck me that I had some carrots in the fridge and I could use them. I generally browse for recipes and try to use the best aspects of the different recipes that I come across in my dishes. But as for this carrot rice I had no time absolutely to browse for recipes. So I just went with instincts and it turned out great!!!

Now lets see the recipe.

Ingredients:

Basmati rice / Regular rice - 2 cups
Carrots - 3 medium
Onion - 1 big
Green chillies - 2
Garlic - 3 cloves
Ginger - 1/2"
Cinnamom - 1" stick
Cloves - 5
Bay leaves - 2
Cumin seeds - 1 tsp
Garam masala - 1 - 11/2 tsp (adjust according to taste)
Salt - as per taste
Oil - 1 tbsp



Procedure:

1. Grate the carrots and gently squeeze them between kitchen tissues to remove some moisture.
2. Cook the rice with 3 cups of water for 10 minutes under pressure and spread it on a large plate to let it cool.
3. Now heat the oil in a wide vessel and add all the whole spices and let them sizzle. Then add the chopped onion, green chillies, finely minced ginger and garlic to this. Cook till the onion turns soft.
4. Add the grated carrot to this and mix well. Let the carrot cook well. Add the garam masala and salt and stir thoroughly.
5. Finally add the cooked rice to this and mix to incorporate well and switch off heat.

Serve hot with papad and any dry subji of your choice!!!!

4 comments:

  1. simple,healthy and delicious ..perfect lunch bow recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yummyyyy rice..

    http://vegetarianmedley.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. It looks good to me, I haven't tried carrot rice before and this one looks worth trying. Thank you for sharing the recipe with us and keep posting more recipes

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...