I just realized that I have not posted any breakfast recipes till date. So, I decided to start with one of the easiest breakfast dishes that I prepare quite often and is a favorite of both me and my husband. It requires very few ingredients and can be prepared in a jiffy.
Now lets take a look at the recipe.
Vermicelli / Semiya - 1 cup
Onion - 1 small
Green chilli - 1 or 2
Chopped vegetables (I used beans, carrot and peas) - 1 cup
Ginger - 1" inch
Turmeric powder - 1/2 tsp
Mustard seeds - 1 tsp
Cumin seeds - 1 tsp
Channa dal - 1 tsp
Cashews - 5 or 6 broken
Curry leaves - a bunch
Oil / Ghee - 1 tbsp
Salt - as required
1. Boil the vermicelli in 3 cups water with a tsp of oil for about 3-4 minutes and set aside. (The amount of water should be about thrice the quantity of the vermicelli). Make sure not to overcook it 'coz it may turn mushy and sticky.
2. Heat oil in a kadai and add the mustard seeds, cumin seeds, channa dal and curry leaves. Wait till the channa dal turns light brown and add the cashews and toss.
3. Now add the chopped onions, chillies and ginger and mix well till the onion turns transparent and crispy.
4. Next add the chopped vegetables and mix well. Keep mixing to avoid burning. There is no need to cook the vegetables ahead if u chop them real fine. If you prefer chunkier veg pieces then microwave them ahead.
5. Then add the turmeric and salt and keep mixing till the raw turmeric smell leaves.
6. Finally add the cooked vermicelli and mix well. Switch off heat and serve.
The sevai can be had without any side accompaniment or coconut chutney and sambar should be good as well.