Pages

Feb 13, 2012

Semiya Paalpayasam / Vermicelli Kheer!!!!

Hi guys!!!

The last week was almost like a roller-coaster ride and I hardly had any time to sit in front of my laptop. So, I have got to get back blogging with some simple and easy recipes.

Semiya payasam used to be a regular delicacy prepared on any special occasions back at home. My mom used to prepare this payasam with coconut milk instead of milk 'coz my sister could not stand the smell of milk. ( I still wonder how she grew up without drinking milk all these years!!!!). But I have always prepared the payasam with milk and it tops the list of frequently prepared dessert. A perfect Indian dessert I should say :-)

Last week on Thai poosam day my MIL told me that I had to prepare payasam, vadai and sakkarai pongal and I prepared them all for the pooja. I never knew when Thai poosam was (I mean the date) till last year. But now, I had to wake up early clean the house and prepare all the items and finish the pooja before 9 in the morning.. Phew!!!!

The paalpayasam can  be prepared with various other ingredients such as sago (javvarisi) or just plain rice. This is an easy-to-prepare dish and does not require a lot of ingredients.

Lets take a look at the recipe.

Ingredients:

Vermicelli - 2/3 cup
Milk - 500 ml
Sugar - 1/2 cup (use as required)
Cardamom powder - 1 tsp
Cashews - 10
Raisins - 10
Ghee - 1 tbsp



Procedure:

1. Heat the ghee in a kadai and fry the cashews and raisins and keep aside. Use the same ghee to fry the vermicelli till golden brown and set aside.
2. Now start heating the milk. Let it boil. Once the milk has boiled turn the heat down to the sim and add the roasted vermicelli and sugar and keep stirring everytime it tends to boil  over.
3. Keep the heat on till the vermicelli gets cooked. It takes about 10 minutes.
4. Finally add the cardamom powder, cashews and raisins and switch off heat.

Yummy paalpayasam is ready!!!!

4 comments:

  1. Guess you have become a poruppaana marumagal :) Payasam looks yummy Alagu!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Athi :) Actually porupana marumagal aradhu is mostly by no choice am i right?? ;)

      Delete
  2. payasam looks so goodnicely done alagu......!one of my favourite sweets!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...