Pages

Feb 18, 2012

Rava Dosai!!!

Hi guys!!!

Planning the breakfast in a way that there is variety is the biggest difficulty I have faced in cooking!!!! Ganesh would be more than happy if the breakfast is in line with the Saravana Bhavan menu and I find it really difficult to keep that up during weekdays. But still, when I am out of idli-dosa batter and have either been toooooo lazy or absent-minded to grind the next batch, I try to prepare some other variants of South-Indian breakfast items. If my mind is still blank, then it is Toast with Nutella or a bowl of Coco Pops with milk :-)

Rava dosa is my favorite dosa variety and I do sneak that in my breakfast menu quite often. Just like everybody who has tried this dosa I have stumbled upon so many different recipes and failed a few times to make the perfect crispy Rava dosa. But finally, I found the right recipe and from then on every single time has been perfect.

Now lets see the recipe.

Ingredients:

Rava / Sooji - 1 cup
Rice flour - 1 cup
Maida / APF - 1/4 cup
Cumin seeds - 1 tsp
Asafoetida - 1/2 tsp
Chilles chopped - 2
Ginger chopped - 1/2 inch
Black pepper - crushed 1 tsp
Salt - 1 tsp
Onions - 1 chopped (optional. Use only for Onion Rava Dosa)
Cashews - 8-12 halved and chopped



Procedure:

1. Mix sooji, rice flour, maida, salt, asafoetida, chopped chillies and ginger and crushed pepper together in a bowl.
2. Add enough water to the mixture to reach the butter milk consistency. The batter has got to be really watery to achieve the crispy result.
3. Heat the dosa tawa till really hot. When it is hot as required, spread some ghee and scatter cashews and onions on it and pour the batter uniformly. I usually splash the batter in the tawa in such a way there is no discontinuity. This method helps to make more crispy dosas as there is no accumulation of batter.
4. This dosa does not require flipping over so watch for the indication that it is done. You will know when the batter on the upper side looks cooked and the lower side starts to turn golden brown.
5. Just fold the dosa from one end and transfer it to a plate.

Crispy and tasty Rava dosas are ready!!! Serve with sambar and any kind of chutney and enjoy!!!!

3 comments:

  1. We love rava dosa with coconut chutney and sugar! I agree planning the menu is even more difficult than actually cooking and eating.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi,

    I came across your page recently and I'm trying to find an email address to contact you on to ask if you would please consider adding a link to my website. I'd really appreciate if you could email me back.

    Thanks and have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Emily,

      Thanks for dropping by and I am happy to add a link to your website. Please drop your website details here :)

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...